Purpose of the role:
To facilitate technical requirements for all shows and events, and to assist with general maintenance duties as required.
Our ideal candidate:
We are looking to appoint a multi-skilled Technician to ensure a smooth running, efficient and safe working environment for all staff and visiting companies, to assist with building maintenance and to strive to offer the best possible service to all users of Wycombe Swan.
You will report directly to Buildings & Technical Manager / Duputy Building and Technical Manager
The posts you will line manage in this role include Casual and Voluntary Crew
• With other members of the Technical Team, contribution as required to the achievement of the Swan’s Business
Plan and its relevant targets and objectives.
• As part of the Technical Team to be responsible for assisting with the setting up of shows and events and to assist
with various operational duties as instructed, including the operation of counterweight flying facilities.
• To assist with moving scenery and equipment during a production, working with lighting, sound and special
effects as directed by the Buildings & Technical Manager or Senior Technician.
• To assist visiting production companies and performers with the get-in and get-out of all staging and electrical
equipment as directed.
• To assist in the rigging and focusing of lights and any additional sound installations as required and directed.
• The post holder will assist in the breakdown and get-out of all staging and equipment at the conclusion of
performances and events.
• With the technical team, to work closely and promote good customer relations with all visiting producers and
artists and in particular with amateur companies.
• Carry out routine maintenance on the Swan’s equipment and systems as directed by the Buildings
& Technical Manager.
• To assist in the management of contractors and the general maintenance of the buildings and facilities as required
– including routine and general maintenance tasks such as lamp checks, Portable Appliance Testing, painting etc.
Health & Safety
• Ensure the safety and comfort of customers and clients at all times whilst on the premises.
• To develop a good working knowledge of the building’s facilities and services in order to carry out assigned
maintenance duties to a high standard, as directed.
• To assist in protecting and safeguarding the buildings and their contents from possible theft, damage and abuse
by carrying out assigned duties as directed and abiding by policies and procedures issued.
• To abide by relevant Health and Safety and Licensing requirements and to ensure all visiting performers,
contractors and the general public also conform to these requirements.
Recruitment, Training and Development
The post holder agrees to undertake training and development as appropriate and to also keep apprised of developments in his/her field of expertise.
• Any other duties as required from time to time, taking into consideration the grade of the post and capabilities of the
• Dress in accordance with company uniform policy and wear protective clothing as issued, if applicable
This Job Description is not an exhaustive description of your duties. You will be required to adopt a flexible approach to your role and responsibilities. In particular, from time to time, you may be required to undertake such alternative or additional duties as may be commensurate with your skills, experience and capabilities.
In order to be considered for this post you will need to evidence and demonstrate:
• Experience of working as part of a team
• Previous backstage or technical experience in either a professional, educational or performance environment
• Able to take and act upon instructions within a given time frame and in a busy working environment
• Able to use own initiative
• Ability to work safely at height, using ladders and tallescope, and from lighting bridges
• Proven ability to effectively work in a multi-tasking environment, including building maintenance and PAT testing
• Knowledge and use of theatre lighting and sound systems, including rigging, focussing and plotting
• Knowledge and use of counterweight flying systems
• A working knowledge of technical theatre practices, including terminology and knots
• An understanding of theatre and entertainment protocols, such as DMX etc.
• A recognised qualification in technical theatre / theatre craft Attitude
• Enthusiasm for the performing arts and entertainment Reliable, with a flexible and pro-active attitude
• A ‘can-do’ attitude and a positive, flexible approach to the job role, work colleagues and peers.
• A presentable, professional and approachable manner which sets an example for others to follow.
• Willing to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays.
• An understanding of security requirements in a technical environment
• Practical experience in equipment maintenance
• Experience of leading a team
• Literacy, computer literacy and numeracy as appropriate to the requirements of the post
• A good sense of humour
• A bias towards stage craft and counterweight flying would be an advantage
To apply send a letter of application and CV by Friday 11th January 2019 to: Amy Gillard, Administration Manager, Wycombe Swan, St. Mary Street, High Wycombe, HP11 2XE or email firstname.lastname@example.org