£34,000 to 38,000 per annum dependant on experience
Mayflower Theatre is the largest independent theatre in the south of the UK. We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Technical Manager to lead our team and become part of our continued success. With a wide range of shows including large scale musicals, opera and dance performed on our stage, this role would be suitable for a candidate with proven experience in a similar position within a presenting theatre, producing house or tour.
The Technical Manger assists the Head of Technical Operations in the smooth running of all aspects of the Technical Department, ensuring that all aspects are delivered to the highest quality, along with managing the day to day technical operational requirements of the business and management of Stage Mangers and Chief Electricians. They also act as Deputy for the Head of Technical Operations in their absence
• Protect the sustainability, income and reputation of Mayflower Theatre
• Manage the operational delivery of organisational objectives
• Contribute to the theatre’s business plan, corporate strategy and annual budgets and to ensure they are delivered
• Take responsibility for the strategic planning of team holidays and days off to ensure adequate operational cover in the theatre and appraisals
• Take an active role in the Health & Safety activities of the theatre
• Positively lead, support and develop staff
• Work with the Head of Technical Operations in ensuring the day to day operation and activities relating to the technical operation of the theatre are adequately staffed according to show and business requirements, taking into account the working time directive, ABTT guidance and best practice.
• Communicate effectively with incoming companies regarding show requirements, ensuring rider responses and staff rotas are completed and effectively distributed to all relevant parties.
• In consultation with the Chief Electricians and Stage Managers, advise the Head of Technical Operations when lighting, sound, A/V, automation or staging matters are impractical or outside the capabilities of the theatre, and to suggest alternative arrangements that fall within the artistic interpretation required by the production
• Ensure Chief Electricians and Stage Managers maintain accurate equipment inventories and update technical specification and procedural documentation
• Be an excellent manager who is computer literate with attention to detail.
• Be Reliable, take a positive and enthusiastic approach to work and be able to motivate a team.
• Be calm under pressure and well organised, with an excellent eye for detail and a commitment to excellence
• Have a pro-active and positive approach to problem solving in a prompt and independent manner
• Have a BTEC Technical Theatre or equivalent and academic qualifications is essential as is the NEBOSH qualification
• Have extensive experience of working within and managing the technical areas of a mid to large scale entertainment venue
• Have a proven successful experience of the management of Health and Safety at work in a theatre or similar entertainment environment.
• Have excellent communication skills both written and spoken
• Be competent with all Microsoft Office products
It is essential that you have experience of working within the technical area of the professional live entertainment industry and a good working knowledge of all aspects of technical theatre in particular an in depth knowledge of theatre stage-craft, counterweight flying, practical knowledge of rigging, practical experience of repair and maintenance of Stage equipment, flying systems and large scale get in/fit up experience.
168 hours worked over a 4 week period. The rota includes evenings, weekends and bank holidays. Salary (depending upon experience) is between £34,000 to 38,000 per annum. An excellent benefits package. This role is part of the Leadership team.
If you are interested, please apply by sending your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 5pm on 14 October 2019
Due to a high volume of applications, we will be unable to contact every candidate individually. All successful candidates will be contacted within the next five weeks.