Birmingham Repertory Theatre
£36,000 to £40,000 dependant on experience
Applying for this post
To apply for this post please complete the online application process on our website: https://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/get-involved/careers-and-vacancies.html
Data from your diversity monitoring form will not be shared with the recruitment panel.
*we accept other forms of submission including video and audio recordings.
The Rep is a Disability Confident Employer. If you would like to apply under this scheme please selection this option on our application portal.
The Rep supports and encourages applications from refugees seeking asylum in the United Kingdom. We will guarantee an interview to any refugee if they meet the minimum criteria for the job vacancy and has the legal right to work in the UK. If you would like to apply under this scheme please select this option on our application portal.
If you would like to request any adjustments to enable you to apply for this post or to fully participate in an interview, please contact RepTalent@birmingham-rep.co.uk
Please read the job description carefully before starting your application to ensure that you meet all of the essential criteria and are able to provide evidence in your application to support these areas. Only relevant information will be considered when shortlisting candidates.
In line with GDPR, your application will be retained securely for 6 months before being destroyed if you are unsuccessful.
Vacancies will generally close by the deadline, however, we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if we receive a high volume of suitable applicants. We therefore advise candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible if they wish to be considered for the role. Any applications made after the deadline will not be considered
As a world-class producing theatre in the heart of the city, we can offer you an impressive stage for your talents. You’ll work across three kitchens delivering into seven spaces to both our in-house and corporate clients. Plus, you’ll help to deliver the offer into Centenary Square for exciting city wide activities like the Commonwealth Games 2022, Colmore Food festival and more…
You’ve already worked in an imaginative, locally sourced fresh food kitchen. The teams you have been a part of have delivered exciting twists on old favourites, and fusion dishes with influences from around the world.
All of which means you could be perfectly cast for this brand-new role in our new Catering offer. After a £2.2 million investment the facility is brand new, and you can play your part in shaping it! You’ll help us realise all our ambitions to deliver the best quality café experience in the city.
If you have a formal culinary education or similar is great. But much more important is your passion and ability to make a dramatic mark on the Birmingham food scene.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Developing the company’s food offer across multiple outlets.
• Overseeing all daily kitchen operations.
• Ensuring all HACCP and EHO compliance is adhered to.
• Managing finances with regards to purchasing, labour allocation and GP margins.
• Overseeing the professional development of all junior staff members.
• Maintain a consistently high standard of food service for all areas
• Provide innovative food to a consistently high standard for all areas
• Develop a range of competitive and cost effective C&B menus for Unique Venues Birmingham (events trading company).
• Foster a climate of cooperation and respect between co-workers.
• Support and promote all company policy, with specific attention to Equality & Diversity, Customer Care, Health & Safety and Data Protection.
• Ensure a safe working environment is maintained at all times with particular regard to the health, safety and welfare of customers, visitors, staff and yourself.
• Any other reasonable duties required for the smooth running of the Catering & Bars Team
• Adhere to and implement the guidelines, procedures and policies of the company as detailed in the staff policies (available from the staff intranet).
• Play a role in the life of the company and work across departments to develop a positive and engaged organisational culture including playing active and positive roles in staff forums/committee’s.
• Be aware of, and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to Health & Safety at work and abide by the procedures set out in the Health & Safety Policy.
• Be aware of, and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to data security, and GDPR, at work and abide by the procedures set out in the Data Protection Policy.
• All staff are expected to demonstrate an understanding of, and adherence to, our safeguarding policy, including a duty to report any issues of concern.
Any other duties
The duties and responsibilities set out should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. The post-holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities within the organisation which are appropriate with the level of the role without changing the general character of the post.
The post-holder may also be called upon to carry out duties that would not normally be associated with the post on a temporary basis where there is a strong organisational requirement for that to happen. The post-holder would be given appropriate training and equipment to carry out any duties of this kind.
You must have
If you do not demonstrate that you meet all these criteria you may not be shortlisted.
• Experience in a Head Chef or Senior Sous looking for first Head Chef role, delivering high quality, high volumes food, with experience in C&B.
• Proven experience in leading and managing a team on shift.
• High standards in quality and presentation with an eye for detail.
• A passion and flair for creative cooking, and experience in menu development.
• Self motivation, enthusiasm and the ability to adapt to a service need that can change throughout the day.
• Experience in costings, stock management, labour implementation and IT.
It’d be great if you had
If we need to choose between candidates who meet the essential criteria, we may take these factors into account.
• Experience in managing a P&L including cost of sale and payroll.
• Proven results through innovation and change management.
Terms & Conditions
Period of work
This is a permanent contract, subject to successful completion of a probationary period of 3 months.
£36,000 to £40,000 dependant on experience; pro-rata if part-time.
39 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work may/will be required.
20 days per year plus public holidays/25 days, plus bank holidays.
The notice period will be 4 weeks.
Location of work
Your main place of work will be The Rep in Birmingham, but you may be required to work permanently or temporarily at other locations locally
You may be asked to work temporarily in other locations in the UK. Your role may involve some international travel.
• Contributory staff pension, 5% employee and 3% employer
• Free-to-use employee assistance service
• Staff ticket discount
• Staff discount in The REP food and drink outlets (when available)
• We actively encourage all staff to see shows as believe that being part of the REP product enhances everyone’s experience as an employee and ambassador.
For more information and to apply, go to https://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/about-us/jobs-vacancies/