Birmingham Repertory Theatre
£29,013.99 : pro rata if part time
Applying for this post
To apply for this post please complete the online application process on our website: https://www.birmingham-Rep.co.uk/get-involved/careers-and-vacancies.html
Data from your diversity monitoring form will not be shared with the recruitment panel.
*we accept other forms of submission including video and audio recordings.
The Rep is a Disability Confident Employer. If you would like to apply under this scheme please selection this option on our application portal.
The Rep supports and encourages applications from refugees seeking asylum in the United Kingdom. We will guarantee an interview to any refugee if they meet the minimum criteria for the job vacancy and has the legal right to work in the UK. If you would like to apply under this scheme please select this option on our application portal.
Please read the job description carefully before starting your application to ensure that you meet all of the essential criteria and are able to provide evidence in your application to support these areas. Only relevant information will be considered when shortlisting candidates.
In line with GDPR, your application will be retained securely for 6 months before being destroyed if you are unsuccessful.
Working alongside the Head of Lighting, this role will have responsibility for all LX requirements for the Rep productions and will assume a hands-on role in the day to day running of the department. You will ensure excellent customer service is consistently provided to staff, customers and visitors to The Rep and UVB events. This role will require you to deputise for the Head of Lighting and ensure the efficient technical management of all events and productions.
There is also responsibility to ensure that digital technology and sustainability are at the heart of every project.
Main duties and responsibilities
The role main duties and responsibilities of the role are:
• Working with the Head of Lighting, liaise with other technical staff and UVB Team regarding the requirements for conferences, hires and visiting companies.
• Install, operate, programme and maintain lighting equipment for conferences, hires, Rep productions and visiting companies as required.
• To maintain and run performances, ensuring the productions continued adherence to its creator’s original design.
• Working with the Head of Lighting, liaise with the incoming creative teams on design and requirements for Rep productions.
• To work to design and installation deadlines as per production and technical schedules as set by the Head of Lighting.
• Maintain all technical equipment both on a day-to-day and formalised scheduled programme.
• Create and install practical lighting elements for Rep productions.
• Liaise with the Head of Lighting and the Creative Learning team to create opportunities for access and learning throughout the department.
• To act as an ambassador for the Rep and maintain a professional appearance whenever at work but especially when working on conferences, hires and UVB events.
• To liaise with other departments regarding audio-described and signed performances.
• To carry out other technical duties or special projects as reasonably required by the Head of Lighting.
• Liaise closely with other departments to ensure efficient and effective completion of tasks and working patterns.
• To work alongside the Head of Lighting to generate ideas / projects for the better running and / or improvement of the Lighting department at The Rep.
• To ensure excellent customer service is maintained at all times.
• Ensure the departments functions are conducted within the parameters, budgetary or otherwise, as set out by the Head of Lighting.
• Deputise for the Head of Lighting, to ensure representation at all Design, Progress, Production and Departmental meetings, as well as other meetings as required.
• Keep pace with technical developments within the sector and beyond and undertake further training and development as required.
• Ensure that a high standard of housekeeping prevails in all departmental areas.
• Working with the Head of Lighting to actively embrace and seek to embed digital solutions to presenting work and to developing work flows across the department.
• Ensure that sustainable methods of delivering on all output are considered, developed and implemented where possible.
• Work with the Head of Lighting to help support and actively participate in the Birmingham Rep’s apprenticeship schemes.
• Deputise for the Head of Lighting as and when required.
• Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Head of Lighting to ensure the smooth running of the Lighting department, also duties assisting the building maintenance team with improvements / maintenance of the building.
• This role may require occasionally working away from Birmingham.
Communication and Administration
• Ensure detailed records are maintained for all equipment.
• To ensure show files and any relevant records are archived.
• Comply with The Rep’s financial policies and procedures and work with the Head of Lighting to maintain budgets and resources accordingly.
Health & Safety
• Work closely with the Head of Lighting and other Rep team members and consultants to maintain a safe working environment.
• Maintain and update records of risk assessment and maintenance, as well as maintain general record keeping.
• Ensure method statements or safe systems of work are implemented and that appropriate training has been completed.
• Be an on-duty First Aider.
This role reports to the Head of Lighting and deputises in managing the Lighting team including:
• LX technicians
• Casual LX staff
The structure above may change from time to time based on business need but reflects the broad areas of responsibility and is indicative of the number of direct reports.
You must have
If you do not demonstrate that you meet all these criteria you may not be shortlisted.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in a producing theatre.
• Extensive experience, knowledge and understanding of the theatrical technical industry and in particular technical products, equipment and systems.
• Excellent communication and organisational skills, both written and verbal.
• Knowledge of current Health & Safety guidance, practice and practical implementation.
• Excellent knowledge and experience in lighting.
• Ability to lead, manage and motivate a team.
• Ability to work under pressure while managing time effectively, meeting deadlines while continuing to pay close attention to detail and accuracy.
• Working at height certification.
• Ability to and experience of working at height and in using a broad range of access equipment.
• Ability to solder and create practical lighting elements.
• Computer literate and practical experience of using Word, Excel (or equivalent) and AutoCAD or Vectorworks.
• Experience of liaising with creative teams and ability to interpret design concepts into an achievable outcome.
• Positive outlook and a flexible approach to working, including unsociable hours.
It’d be great if you had
If we need to choose between candidates who meet the essential criteria, we may take these factors into account.
• Full clean driving license and experience in driving vans.
• Formal electrical installation and inspection certification.
• First aid certification.
Terms & Conditions
Period of work
This is a permanent contract, subject to successful completion of a probationary period of three months.
£29,013.99 : pro rata if part time
2028 hours per year (equivalent to 39 hours a week)
20 days per year plus public holidays, increasing to 25 days with service.
The notice period will be 2 months.
Location of work
Your main place of work will be The Rep in Birmingham, but you may be required to work permanently or temporarily at other locations.
You may be asked to work temporarily in other locations in the UK. Your role may involve some international travel.
Relocation package available upon application
Training and Development
Training and development package available upon application
For more information about the role and to apply, please visit our website: https://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/about-us/jobs-vacancies/