Family Sundays are a regular event for families to come and explore the Royal Opera House, its artists and the world of opera and ballet. Each Family Sunday is packed with creative and practical activities for all the family, with space to enjoy live performances in an informal setting and get involved with music, dance and Craft workshops. Craft activities are led by professional facilitators and supported by volunteer crafts assistants.
As a Crafts Assistant volunteer, you could...
- Gain skills and experience in learning and participation events, working with children, problem solving, teamwork and communication.
- Meet like-minded people and gain confidence in a supportive environment.
- Go to rehearsals of Royal Ballet and Royal Opera performances (subject to availability)
- Take part in ongoing learning opportunities
- Go to volunteer social events and celebrations
- Enjoy discounts in our shop, cafe and restaurants
- Apply for internal vacancies
- Get feedback on your applications for jobs at ROH
- Support and encourage children to engage in crafts activities
- Explain the activity in an engaging and concise way
- Support participants with safe use of crafts materials and tools when needed
- Assist with preparation of crafts materials
- Assist organisers and facilitators with setting up and tidying away activities and event spaces
- Follow Safeguarding procedures for the protection of children and young people
Hours or Day(s):
Family Sunday event dates for the 2022-23 Season:
- 6 November 2022
-20 November 2022
-4 December 2022
-17 December 2022
-22 January 2023
-26 February 2023
-26 March 2023
-2 April 2023
-7 May 2023
-18 June 2023
You can volunteer a full-day or half-day.
Sessions are 08:00-12:30 or 13:15-16:30. If you choose to volunteer both sessions, you will have a one-hour break from 12:30-13:30.
Preference will be given to volunteers who are available for a requested minimum of 6 event dates during the 2022-23 Season.
Volunteers sign up for sessions on a quarterly basis. Sessions are then confirmed by the Learning and Participation team with at least 4 weeks` notice.
Skills and Personal Qualities
We welcome volunteers who (are):
- Enjoy engaging with children, particularly young children aged 3-10 years
- Interested in craft-making
- Friendly and enthusiastic
- Patient and non-judgmental
- Reliable and punctual
- Team players
- Proactive and able to follow instructions
- Able to keep calm during busy times
- Flexible with a can-do attitude
- Confident communicating in English
- Respectful of the boundaries of the volunteer role
- Committed to Diversity & Inclusion
- Understand the importance of safeguarding.
- Committed to our values: Treat each other with Respect, Be Open and Value the Highest Standards
The minimum age requirement for this volunteer role is 18.
The Royal Opera House is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment in which everyone can thrive. We welcome volunteer applications from those who are currently underrepresented in our organisation. This includes disabled people and those who are ethnically diverse. We welcome volunteers who have access and support needs.
Volunteer Induction and Settling In Period
Full inductions will be provided before getting started.
Induction will take place at 4pm-6.30pm on Monday 17th October2022 at the Royal Opera House Covent Garden.
The first 2 volunteering sessions are considered a settling in period which gives the volunteer and the ROH a chance to make sure the role is a good fit.
Volunteers can claim reimbursement of agreed out-of-pocket travel expenses (up to £13.50 a day) and refreshments (up to £4 if volunteering for more than 4 hours).
Please note: We encourage everyone who is interested to register their interest in this opportunity, however we regret that we can`t offer a volunteering placement to everyone who registers an interest.
How to register your interest:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a link to an online registration form or phone 020 7212 9406 to speak to the ROH Volunteer Programme team.
Apply Via the Royal Opera House website.