Birmingham Repertory Theatre
Up to £40,000 per annum dependent on experience
To apply for this post please go to https://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/get-involved/careers-and-vacancies.html
The deadline for applications is Monday 17th October at 12pm
Interviews will take place at The Rep on Friday 28th October
The Financial Controller manages the team and all financial systems and processes used in the organisation. They prepare the monthly management accounts and statutory accounts for the commercial entities owned by The Rep. The role also supports the Finance Director on aspects of preparation of the monthly and annual accounts for the charity.
The Finance department is responsible for all aspects of the financial management of the theatre and its commercial subsidiaries.
Main duties and responsibilities
Key Areas of Responsibility
• To prepare accurate and timely monthly management accounts for Unique Venues Birmingham Limited and Birmingham Rep Enterprises Limited.
• To contribute to the management and development of the Finance department and its systems.
• Responsible for day-to-day team management including workload, capacity and performance.
• To provide support to colleagues in other departments within the theatre with the provision financial information as required.
• To support the Commercial Directors of Unique Venues Birmingham Limited and Birmingham Rep Enterprises Limited with financial information and systems development.
• Attendance and contribution to management team meetings and projects external to the team.
• Input and delivery of team strategy.
• Deputise for Finance Director as appropriate.
• Create and improve policies and processes to enable smooth and efficient running of the team.
• Supervise the running of the sales ledger, ensuring invoices are raised in a timely manner and debts are monitored and chased.
• Supervise the running of the purchase ledger, ensuring liabilities are recorded accurately in the accounts and suppliers paid on the correct terms.
• Supervise the running of the cashbook, ensuring all bank statement and petty cash items are recorded accurately and in a timely manner. Check bank reconciliations and supervise reconciliation of physical cash.
• Supervise the running of the weekly and monthly payrolls.
• Prepare monthly management accounts for the commercial subsidiary companies, Unique Venues Birmingham and Birmingham Rep Enterprises.
• Assist in the preparation of the monthly management accounts for The Rep: calculate and post monthly journals, prepayments and accruals; account for fixed assets and depreciation.
• Assist with show reporting.
• Perform or supervise all team balance sheet reconciliations on a monthly basis.
• Reconcile inter-venue accounts and settle cash owing or owed on a regular basis.
• Provide accurate information for statutory returns, funding applications and other information requests.
• Review and document procedures in all areas to ensure maximum efficiency and monitor the implementation and usage of agreed procedures.
• Assist in the preparation of the year-end statutory accounts.
• Assist in the year-end audit process.
• Assist budget holders in monitoring their expenditure and provide day-to-day financial information to colleagues.
You must have
• High standard of literacy and numeracy – Maths and English at GCSE (or equivalent) level.
• Full qualified accountant (ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW) with at least two years of post-qualification experience.
• Experience of managing a finance team.
• Computer literate on MS Office and payment/finance systems.
• Strong organisational and administrative skills.
• Experience of payroll and finance systems.
It’d be great if you had
• Experience in a customer-focused environment.
• An interest and knowledge of the theatre.
• Experience of personnel administration.
• Positive and helpful attitude.
• Flexibility, initiative, dedication and commitment.
• Willingness to learn new skills and activities.
• Self-motivated, resilient and able to work un-supervised.
• Excellent planning and organisational skills.
• Ability to work effectively at all levels and contribute as a member of a team.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Works well under pressure and to deadlines.
• Understands the importance of good internal and external customer relations.
• An excellent eye for detail and a commitment to excellence.
• Reliable and takes a positive and enthusiastic approach to work.
Terms & Conditions
Period of work
This is a permanent contract, subject to successful completion of a probationary period of three months.
Up to £40,000 per annum dependent upon experience
39 hours per week (full time)
20 days per year (pro rata) plus public holidays/25 days, plus bank holidays.
The notice period will be 3 months.
Location of work
Your main place of work will be The Rep in Birmingham, but you may be required to work permanently or temporarily at other locations locally.
Any job offer we make is subject to:
• Receipt of 2 satisfactory references
• Proof of eligibility to work in the UK
• Role appropriate background checks
• Evidence of appropriate qualifications
To apply, please visit our website: https://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/about-us/jobs-vacancies/