1. The Constant Lambert Fellowship
The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet
Two-year fixed term contract
Based in London, working across London and Birmingham with some UK touring
Fellowship salary: £25,000 p.a.
Named after the Founding Music Director of The Royal Ballet, the Constant Lambert Fellowship is a joint initiative between The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet. Applications for The Constant Lambert Fellowship are invited from conductors aspiring to gain experience of the particular skills required to conduct performances of ballet.
The Fellowship is a tailor-made programme which offers a blend of work, study, and mentoring, including:
- Mentoring by Koen Kessels, Music Director of The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet, Paul Murphy, Principal Conductor of Birmingham Royal Ballet and other ballet music professionals
- Acting as cover conductor for designated Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet productions
- The successful candidate will conduct BRB`s "First Steps" programme during the 2-year tenure and may be offered performances of full-length ballets during the 2nd year
- Attendance at studio rehearsals and participation in bespoke workshop events
The Fellowship is offered as a fixed term contract for two years, working across both locations, London and Birmingham, based in London with a salary of £25,000 p.a. plus approved expenses for travel between London and Birmingham, accommodation in Birmingham and some touring.
2. Jette Parker Ballet Conductor
Jette Parker Artists Programme, Royal Opera House
Two-year fixed term contract
Based at Covent Garden
Salary: £25,000 p.a.
The Jette Parker Ballet Conductor has a unique position within the Jette Parker Artists Programme at the Royal Opera House, working within The Royal Ballet company and drawing on the coaching, administrative and pastoral support of the Jette Parker Programme.
This is a fixed term contract for two years, based at Covent Garden. The position also includes a period of time each Season with Northern Ballet in Leeds and/or on tour with accommodation and travel expenses covered, which may lead to podium and performance opportunities with the company.
It is a tailor-made programme which offers a blend of work, study, and mentoring, including:
- Mentoring by Koen Kessels, Music Director of The Royal Ballet and other ballet music professionals at Northern Ballet
- Acting as cover conductor for designated Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet productions
- Occasional opportunities to conduct in rehearsals and performances
- Attendance at studio rehearsals
- Regular one-to-ones with The Royal Ballet`s Head of Music, Rob Clark
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate for either role will be able to demonstrate these qualities:
- A high level of conducting skill, general musicianship, and a good understanding of the dance-music relationship
- Demonstrable interest in music for dance and a knowledge of the classical ballet repertoire
- A relevant qualification in music or performance
- Ability to respond in a positive way to mentoring, feedback and direction
- Demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork and harmonious working relationships at all levels
- The highest standards of attendance, reliability and professionalism across all aspects of the work
- Commitment to managing own time, learning and continuous professional development
The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet seek to work with a wide range of UK based artists and also those with outstanding potential from around the world.
The Royal Opera House is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment in which everyone can thrive. We seek to support and encourage applications from women and marginalised genders who are wishing to specialise in conducting ballet and from those who are currently underrepresented in our workforce; in particular those from a global majority background and/or those who are disabled. As a Disability Confident Employer, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential minimum criteria for our vacancies.
The Audition Process
All details including what pieces to prepare should you be invited to audition are available on our website in the The Royal Ballet Conducting Opportunities Application and Audition Pack. Please download and familiarize yourself with this before making an application. It also contains the full Job Description and comprehensive details on each role.
If you have any access requirements for your application, please contact the ROH Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date for applications: 8.00am, Friday 3rd February 2023
First Round: Monday 6th March 2023
Second Round: Tuesday 7th March 2023, 09:00 - 12:00
Third Round: Tuesday 7th March 2023, 14:00 - 17:00
To apply, please follow the link to our website. Candidates must submit a link to a video of themselves conducting (max. 5 mins) in the relevant section of the application form alongside a 1-minute video personal statement.
You will be asked in the application form which programme you would like to apply for. Should you choose to, candidates can be considered for both opportunities.
The successful candidates will be chosen following a three-stage audition process. Shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation to audition via email.