This blog is a space for influential voices from the theatre sector to comment on topical issues, explore new ideas, highlight success stories, share expertise and more.
- With One Voice: the Cultural Spaces' Response to Homelessness
With One Voice is a co-produced, independent charity with 50% of its staff and board made up of people who are or have been homeless. Days before the launch of its biggest project the Cultural Spaces' Responses to Homelessness Programme producers Lora Krasteva and David Tovey explain how the Programme supports venues to deepen their access and work with people who are or have been homeless.
12 March 2020
- Smiling faces and rainbow flags
How Soho Theatre are providing a safe space for the LGBTQ+ community to merge creative curiosity with queer identity
21 February 2020
- Not Costing the Earth: Theatre & Environmental Sustainability
Theatre & Environmental Sustainability. In the face of a Climate & Ecological Crisis are our organisations Carbon Literate and what action can we take? A blog by Will Reynolds, Artistic Director of Metta Theatre.
09 February 2020
- Career Ladder: Sebastian Cater, the new Head of UK Theatre and Workforce Development
Meet the new Head of UK Theatre, Sebastian Cater. Find out about his career path to date, life lessons and who inspires him.
27 January 2020
- A Day In The Life: Sagar Shah Press and Communications Manager, Battersea Arts Centre
Ever wondered what working as a Press and Communications Manager in a busy arts centre entails? Sagar Shah shares with us a day in his life at Battersea Arts Centre.
24 January 2020
- Safety in numbers
UK Theatre, SOLT and ABTT have launched a new scheme with Blue Lemon that will help the theatre industry interpret accident statistics and provide advance warning to members through the indication of near-miss trends. #SAFERtheatre
20 January 2020
- Redefining what a 21st-century theatre can be: how Storyhouse won the UK's Most Welcoming Theatre Award 2019
What does it take to be named the UK's Most Welcoming Theatre? And how can theatres implement changes at their venue to make them as welcoming as possible? Find out from the 2019 award-winner, Storyhouse, Chester.
06 January 2020
- The building blocks of consent creating a framework for change
Brodie Turner, Consent, safety and inclusion consultant
09 December 2019
- Twas the Night before panto...
Be brave Simon! Old fashioned cultural stereotypes or a British tradition binding together local communities? Read Michael Simkins, an actors' view, on pantomime.
02 December 2019
- Mental Health and Wellbeing: ATG's commitment and practise
Positive mental health and wellbeing is something that everyone needs. This blog explores how ATG are putting their commitment into practise.
07 November 2019
- A Day in the Life: Jo Blackett, Sales Manager, Northern Stage
A Day in the Life: Jo Blackett, Sales Manager, Northern Stage
04 November 2019
- A Day in the Life: Gary Stevens
A Day in the Life of Gary Stevens, Operations Director and General Manager at The Old Rep Theatre, Birmingham
03 October 2019
- Bums on Seats vs Shoes on Feet: Theatre and the Experience Economy
By Jamie Snelgrove, Business Development Manager, Theatre Tokens
13 September 2019
- What do cricket, drones, mountaineering and theatre have in common?
They all have All-Party Parliamentary Groups to support them. But what is an APPG? There are around 700 of them, one of which is now for Theatre. Hannah Gagen, our Advocacy Manager, tells us more.
05 September 2019
- A Day in the Life: Pete Griffin, Digital Development Producer
Pete Griffin takes us through a day in his life as Digital Development Producer at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
27 August 2019
- Career Ladder: Tony Gayle, Freelance Sound Engineer/Designer
Tony Gayle, Freelance Sound Engineer/Designer, talks to us about his career and life lessons
19 July 2019
- What I've Learnt: Managing a Capital Project
Neil Chandler shares his key learnings from managing the redevelopment of the Fairfield Halls, South London's largest arts centre. It has undergone a multi-million-pound redevelopment and will be at the heart of Croydon's new Cultural and Education Quarter when it re-opens on 16 September 2019.
15 July 2019
- SAFERtheatre: Can body cameras reduce aggression and violence in theatres?
Can body cameras reduce aggression and violence in theatres? Part of SOLT and UK Theatre's #SAFERtheatre campaign.
10 July 2019
- You're invited
You're invited Cassie Chadderton reflects on the results of UK Theatre 2019 Member Survey, what they tell us about the industry and how we can use the insight to support you better.
27 June 2019
- Audiences Behaving Badly And What We Should Do About It (Dr Kirsty Sedgman's Theatre & Touring Symposium 2019 Lightning Talk)
Dr Kirsty Sedgman is a Lecturer in Theatre and British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Bristol. On 17 June 2019 she gave a 'lightning talk' at the Theatre and Touring Symposium 2019. This is a blog post about that talk: Audiences Behaving Badly And What We Should Do About It.
26 June 2019