This blog is a space for influential voices from the theatre sector to comment on topical issues, explore new ideas, highlight success stories, share expertise and more.
- Bums on Seats vs Shoes on Feet: Theatre and the Experience Economy
By Jamie Snelgrove, Business Development Manager, Theatre Tokens
13 September 2019
- What do cricket, drones, mountaineering and theatre have in common?
They all have All-Party Parliamentary Groups to support them. But what is an APPG? There are around 700 of them, one of which is now for Theatre. Hannah Gagen, our Advocacy Manager, tells us more.
05 September 2019
- A Day in the Life: Pete Griffin, Digital Development Producer
Pete Griffin takes us through a day in his life as Digital Development Producer at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
27 August 2019
- Career Ladder: Tony Gayle, Freelance Sound Engineer/Designer
Tony Gayle, Freelance Sound Engineer/Designer, talks to us about his career and life lessons
19 July 2019
- What I've Learnt: Managing a Capital Project
Neil Chandler shares his key learnings from managing the redevelopment of the Fairfield Halls, South London's largest arts centre. It has undergone a multi-million-pound redevelopment and will be at the heart of Croydon's new Cultural and Education Quarter when it re-opens on 16 September 2019.
15 July 2019
- SAFERtheatre: Can body cameras reduce aggression and violence in theatres?
Can body cameras reduce aggression and violence in theatres? Part of SOLT and UK Theatre's #SAFERtheatre campaign.
10 July 2019
- You're invited
You're invited Cassie Chadderton reflects on the results of UK Theatre 2019 Member Survey, what they tell us about the industry and how we can use the insight to support you better.
27 June 2019
- Audiences Behaving Badly And What We Should Do About It (Dr Kirsty Sedgman's Theatre & Touring Symposium 2019 Lightning Talk)
Dr Kirsty Sedgman is a Lecturer in Theatre and British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Bristol. On 17 June 2019 she gave a 'lightning talk' at the Theatre and Touring Symposium 2019. This is a blog post about that talk: Audiences Behaving Badly And What We Should Do About It.
26 June 2019
- Lightning Talk: Amanda Huxtable at the Theatre & Touring Symposium 2019
Amanda Huxtable is a Theatre Director and Change Maker. On 17 June 2019 she gave a 'lightning talk' at the Theatre and Touring Symposium 2019... here is that talk.
24 June 2019
- New industry data highlights the critical need to invest in skills development
New industry data highlights the critical need to invest in skills development by Katherine FitzGerald, People Director at Spektrix, and Cassie Chadderton, Head of UK Theatre.
20 June 2019
- Debunking Audience Loyalty: what does your data tell you?
Debunking Audience Loyalty: what does your data tell you? By Lindsay Anderson, VP of Client Development, TRG Arts
10 June 2019
- Pastoral Care: A Change for the Better (Michael Simkins - An Actor's View)
Michael Simkins explores how the approach to pastoral care in the theatre industry has changed over the years and what support networks are out there,
23 May 2019
- Touring Welfare: The Secret Revolution
Touring Welfare: The Secret Revolution by Phil Barley, Theatre Digs Booker Founder and UK Theatre Partner Member.
16 May 2019
- Understanding Your Creative Impact
Julie's Bicycle believe in the creative community. In particular, its unique ability to catalyse the conversation around climate change and translate it into action.
03 May 2019
- A customer focussed accessibility ethos: Oldham Coliseum
Oldham Coliseum was recently named one of the most accessible theatres in the UK in an article by Age UK, but with a theatre building that was built in 1887 that accolade is not down to the bricks and mortar.
30 April 2019
- International perspectives on resilience with Yesplan
As an International supplier of cultural venue and event planning software systems, Yesplan's team around the globe share their observations on various approaches to better use of resources and general resilience.
05 April 2019
- Big things happen in unlikely spaces: the dynamism of township theatre in the UK touring scene
By Anna Coombs, Artistic Director and Chief Executive, Tangle
21 March 2019
- How to Crowdfund Your Show
Kickstarter's new initiative, Performance: In Progress, helps theatre makers build momentum for shows in the Autumn 2019 season and make the most of crowd funding possibilities. Jessica Massart, Senior Performance Lead, Kickstarter explains how it works.
18 March 2019
- Widening The Talent Pipeline Across The UK
by Simon Dancey, CEO of Creative & Cultural Skills. The evidence shows that the UK's cultural sector is overwhelmingly white and middle class... if we continue to reinforce this picture and to exclude a large section or our community, as well as its values and potential, it will cost us and put the future of our industry at risk.
13 March 2019
- Diversifying Theatre Leadership in Yorkshire
Robin Hawkes, Executive Director and Joint CEO of Leeds Playhouse, tells us why they are taking part in ADF's Board Shadowing programme. Dedicated to creating change where it matters the most - at leadership level.
06 March 2019