This blog is a space for influential voices from the theatre sector to comment on topical issues, explore new ideas, highlight success stories, share expertise and more.
- A Day in the life...of Liz Crossman, Costume Prop Maker and Milliner
A Day in the life...of Liz Crossman, Costume Prop Maker and Milliner
14 March 2018
- A New Direction for engaging with schoolsbecome an Artsmark Partner
by Sonia Hyams, Artsmark Officer at A New Direction.
19 February 2018
- Going Places: Lauren Clancy (The Bush, Executive Director)
Lauren Clancy, the new Executive Director of the Bush Theatre, talks to us about her first few months in the role, why she was the right women for the job and what The Bush means to her.
12 February 2018
- It's Time to Change - Michael Simkins
It's Time to Change - Michael Simkins
09 February 2018
- Local theatres and groups have an important part to play in our local communities
by Councillor Michelle Tanfield, Local Government Association's first Theatre Champion.
08 February 2018
- Queer Collective Reflections of the World
A blog by Rachel Skyer for UK Theatre to mark LGBT History Month. Rachel is a member of the Arcola's Queer Collective, a performance collective exploring queer identity and how to present it theatrically. The group is open to anyone identifying as LGBTQI* in East London.
05 February 2018
- Look How Far We've Come
Dan Gillespie Sells, singer/songwriter from The Feeling and composer of Everybody's Talking About Jamie, blogs for UK Theatre on LGBT History Month UK
01 February 2018
- Project Titus (Part 2): Shock, tears and laughter...the results are in
VR vs Cinema vs Theatre. What did the RSC find when they measured the heart rates of audience members watching Shakespeare's bloodiest play? Becky Loftus, Head of Audience Insight at the RSC, reveals the results.
19 January 2018
- Run Away to the Circus
by Theresa Heskins, Artistic Director of the New Vic Theatre, Newcastle-under-Lyme, one of the six 'Cities of Circus' 2018.
19 January 2018
- Walking the Wobbly Lines: Encouraging safe and supportive working practices in theatre
by Cassie Chadderton, Head of UK Theatre.
11 January 2018
- Top Ten tips for Managing Volunteers
As volunteering changes, so does the expectations of those giving up their time. So, how do you ensure you can get the best out of, and for your volunteers? Sandra Lynes Timbrell, Head of Visitor Experience at Shakespeare's Globe shares her thoughts.
09 January 2018
- Mind the Gap: Theatre Group for the Over 60s
How the Mind the Gap theatre group for the over 60s helps Salisbury Playhouse cater for all
03 January 2018
- Opportunities: Disability and Art
A blog by Hannah Treadaway, Theatre Director and Playwright, for UK Theatre to mark Disability History Month's 2017 focus on Disability & Art
21 December 2017
- Perspectives: Disability and Art
A blog by Deborah Williams for UK Theatre to mark Disability History Month's 2017 focus on Disability & Art
19 December 2017
- Career Ladder: Head of Marketing and Communications
Emily Clarke, Head of Marketing and Communications at the New Vic Theatre Newcastle-under-Lyme, talks to us about her career and life lessons.
14 December 2017
- ProFile: Championing D/deaf and Disabled Performers
In October 2017, the NT and Spotlight launched ProFile an online video database of d/Deaf and disabled actors for the use of casting directors, directors and other industry professionals across the UK film, theatre and TV industries. ProFile is a free service both for actors and for industry users, and its aim is to champion this group of actors within the industry and to help increase their representation on our screens and stages.
11 December 2017
- Your Toolkit for the Frontline
Cross-departmental collaboration is vital to the success of thriving arts organisations. Read Tessitura's tips on how we can all use the tools we already have (or are free) to help connect different teams across your whole business.
24 November 2017
- No pay / low pay...but what's the real cost?
Michael Simkins on the problem of poor pay and workforce exploitation in the arts.
20 November 2017
- Why I stopped making 'art' and started making 'shows'
Poppy Burton-Morgan on the different language used in commercial vs. subsidised theatre and the impact it can have on the success of work.
13 November 2017
- The Unsung Heroes of Arts Funding- Hearts for the Arts Awards
After a successful first year the Hearts for the Arts Awards are back, to recognise those local authorities from across the UK who invest the most in the joy, excitement and life-enriching quality of the arts.
06 November 2017