This blog is a space for influential voices from the theatre sector to comment on topical issues, explore new ideas, highlight success stories, share expertise and more.
- Respect Charter: How Bristol Old Vic are encouraging safer and more supportive working practices in theatre
Jane Edwards Reynolds, HR & Company Administration Manager at Bristol Old Vic tell us about the development of their RESPECT Charter and RESPECT Statement, what they are, and how and why they use them.
05 April 2018
- #SaveStageLighting to Save Europe's Theatres
The Association of Lighting Designers has launched a campaign to protect the futures of venues and theatres across Europe.
29 March 2018
- Why autism-friendly performances matter
Why autism-friendly performances matter by Chris Pike, Autism Access Specialist, National Autistic Society
26 March 2018
- Homelessness is Not Just About Housing
"Homelessness is Not Just About Housing". Matt Peacock on the origins of Streetwise Opera and the newly launched 'With One Voice', a movement seeking to connect and strengthen the arts and homelessness sector internationally.
21 March 2018
- A Day in the life...of Liz Crossman, Costume Prop Maker and Milliner
A Day in the life...of Liz Crossman, Costume Prop Maker and Milliner
12 March 2018
- Women Flying High in Circus
On International Women's Day 2018 and in the year of Circus250, Poppy Burton-Morgan (Artistic Director of Metta Theatre) blogs for UK Theatre on the rise of British, female led circus companies in an artform that has been historically problematically male.
08 March 2018
- What I've Learnt: How to be Plastic Free
In January 2018 the Lyric Hammersmith began the #PlasticFreeLyric campaign to stop single-use plastic. Chrissy Angus tells us what they learnt from the initiative and the longer term changes which they hope it will lead to.
26 February 2018
- A New Direction for engaging with schoolsbecome an Artsmark Partner
by Sonia Hyams, Artsmark Officer at A New Direction.
19 February 2018
- Going Places: Lauren Clancy (The Bush, Executive Director)
Lauren Clancy, the new Executive Director of the Bush Theatre, talks to us about her first few months in the role, why she was the right women for the job and what The Bush means to her.
12 February 2018
- It's Time to Change - Michael Simkins
It's Time to Change - Michael Simkins
09 February 2018
- Local theatres and groups have an important part to play in our local communities
by Councillor Michelle Tanfield, Local Government Association's first Theatre Champion.
08 February 2018
- Queer Collective Reflections of the World
A blog by RachSkyer for UK Theatre to mark LGBT History Month. Rach is a member of the Arcola's Queer Collective, a performance collective exploring queer identity and how to present it theatrically. The group is open to anyone identifying as LGBTQI* in East London.
05 February 2018
- Look How Far We've Come
Dan Gillespie Sells, singer/songwriter from The Feeling and composer of Everybody's Talking About Jamie, blogs for UK Theatre on LGBT History Month UK
01 February 2018
- Project Titus (Part 2): Shock, tears and laughter...the results are in
VR vs Cinema vs Theatre. What did the RSC find when they measured the heart rates of audience members watching Shakespeare's bloodiest play? Becky Loftus, Head of Audience Insight at the RSC, reveals the results.
19 January 2018
- Run Away to the Circus
by Theresa Heskins, Artistic Director of the New Vic Theatre, Newcastle-under-Lyme, one of the six 'Cities of Circus' 2018.
19 January 2018
- Walking the Wobbly Lines: Encouraging safe and supportive working practices in theatre
by Cassie Chadderton, Head of UK Theatre.
11 January 2018
- Top Ten tips for Managing Volunteers
As volunteering changes, so does the expectations of those giving up their time. So, how do you ensure you can get the best out of, and for your volunteers? Sandra Lynes Timbrell, Head of Visitor Experience at Shakespeare's Globe shares her thoughts.
09 January 2018
- Mind the Gap: Theatre Group for the Over 60s
How the Mind the Gap theatre group for the over 60s helps Salisbury Playhouse cater for all
03 January 2018
- Opportunities: Disability and Art
A blog by Hannah Treadaway, Theatre Director and Playwright, for UK Theatre to mark Disability History Month's 2017 focus on Disability & Art
21 December 2017
- Perspectives: Disability and Art
A blog by Deborah Williams for UK Theatre to mark Disability History Month's 2017 focus on Disability & Art
19 December 2017